How to Defend Yourself from False Criminal Accusations

There are different types of crimes that you can be accused of, including theft, drug crimes, money laundering, trespassing, disobeying traffic rules, causing injuries, and even causing death. One of the worst things that will ever happen to you is a false accusation for a crime you didn’t commit.

Regardless of the charge, what matters is how you get out of the situation. You will either fight to have the charges dismissed or be forced to get a bond and wait to take the stand against the complainant. The best way to tackle this is by getting a criminal defense attorney who will stand with you to gather evidence to invalidate the accusations and to defend you in court.

Other than having an attorney, there are a few things you can do to help your case. Read on for ways on how to defend yourself from false criminal accusations.

1. Get to the Root of the Accusations

It might be hard defending yourself for something you don’t know about. However, what if you get to the bottom of the matter and understand all the facts of the case? Understanding the issue will prepare you to gather evidence, contact witnesses through your attorney, and present your case to court.

Even when wrongfully accused, it’s better to make the preparations than neglecting the whole situation and finding yourself on the wrong side of the law, especially when facing wrongful conviction litigation. Dig deep on the accusations; know the judge, the law enforcers, and anyone involved with your case.

2. Know the Cost

Do not just wait for the outcome of the case simply because you got wrongfully charged. The complainant might have evidence to prosecute you. While it might not seem right to prepare to defend against something you never did, it’s better than waiting and getting the shock of your life.

Get the cost of hiring an attorney and the expenses that you might need to spend to gather any evidence you can use in your case when prosecuted. Some of these costs will require immediate payments.

3. Intervene Before Getting Charges

It is advisable never to sit down and wait for the charges. With early intervention, you can make your case thrown out before trial. With better circumstances, you can even sue the complainant for false accusations.

Where should one intervene? You can talk to the police, a prosecutor, or the complainant through an attorney and get the matter resolved out of court. With intervention, you can prevent your evidence to prove your innocence and maybe have the case dropped.

4. Do You Have an Alibi?

During the time of the crime, were you in a hotel, at home, or traveling? Who were you with at that time, and what activities were you doing? These questions will help you gather all the necessary information and documents revealing your activities and location at the time of the crime.

You can gather other details, including traveling receipts, work emails, location details, GPRS data, clothes, and additional important information to prove you weren’t available or involved with the crime.

5. Do Nothing and Wait

Although this is a risky step, you should try it if you are sure you aren’t involved in the charges put against you. You can sit and wait as events unfold, hoping the prosecutor will see the case’s discrepancies and drop the case.

Most prosecutors terminate the case if there is no evidence from the complainant or when the complainant decides to stop the case willingly. However, it would be best to get prepared for a counterattack in case something arises.

Get an Attorney when Falsely Accused

Whether it’s a case of mistaken identity, malicious setups, or circumstantial evidence placing you in the wrong place at the wrong time, it can be quite confusing to deal with a case of wrongful accusation. If you are not careful, you may end up being jailed or fined for something you did not do.

However, getting a reputable attorney will help you deal with these processes and ensure your case is dropped or prove your innocence in a trial. With a competent lawyer, you might turn the matter in your favor and sue the complainant for wrongful charges.